Homebred cats often suffer from dehydration, which is the primary cause of feline diseases. It’s difficult to tell why they rarely drink water. But if you’ve seen your cats drinking from a running tap, you’ll notice they are more enthusiastic about drinking from running water compared to still water. This is the same enthusiasm Cat Water Fountains create.
The function of a cat water fountain is as literal as it sounds. It makes still water run like a fountain. However, choosing the best cat water fountain may be a little tough. This is because they come in an array of shapes, sizes, colors, and are built with different materials. Getting the wrong one may be detrimental to your cat’s health. That’s why I’ve carefully curated five of the best you can find out there.
- PetSafe Drinkwell 360 Multi-Pet Stainless Steel Cat Fountain
- Ipettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain
- Catit LED Flower Cat Water Fountain
- Ruff ‘n Ruffus Cat Water Fountain
- Lotus Cat Water Fountain
Why Use A Cat Water Fountain?
It may not be easy to please cats if you’ve not understood them. Cats are quite picky to their own detriment. Most cat owners complain that their pets don’t take water. The irony of this is that a cat can last only about 4 days without water.
- Notwithstanding, most cats (such as mine) would prefer to do a thirst-strike than to drink from a still bowl. This is probably because running water is more aerated and healthier. Cat water fountains allow the water to be oxygenated, giving it a better taste and value.
- Oxygenated water makes the heart and muscles of mammals generally to function better. That means cats drinking from water fountains have a higher resistance against vital organ failure.
- It reduces the chances of bacterial infection because most cat water fountains have good filtration system that removes dirt, odor, tastes, and bacteria.
- Cat water fountains often have functional water holding capacity of about 2L and above. On an average a cat drinks about 0.13L (4.5 oz) of water daily. This means you won’t have to worry about forgetting to provide water for your cats daily. 2L of water can last for as long as two weeks.
- Cats need about 70-80% of the water in their meal. Seeing that water fountains encourage cats to drink more, it prevents common dehydration-caused diseases. The most popular feline disease is urinary tract disease. Another is constipation. The more water your cat drinks, the stronger her immunity against these health challenges.
What Are the Features of a Good Cat Water Fountain?
Before you read my list of 5 best cat water fountain, I want you to know what informed my list. These are what you’ve got to look out for in a perfect cat water fountain.
- A good filtration system that removes dirt, foul odor, and tastes. Like I mentioned earlier, cats are really picky. A foul smell can repel them.
- A functional pump that passes water through the filtration system and down the free-falling stream.
- Sizeable water holding capacity. You don’t need something shallow that will splash water all over the place when the cats drink.
- Low operation noise except for the gentle dripping of water from the fountain into the bowl.
- It should be heavy enough to prevent the Garfield from tossing it over with his weight.
Best Cat Water Fountains Reviews
We’ve talked much about the benefits of cat water fountains. I know you’re eager to get one for ‘Garfield.’ So, let’s dive into my list.
For real, you’re certainly going to fall in love with the Petsafe Drinkwell at first sight. It’s got an exquisite design made of steel. I think that was what stole my cat’s tender heart the first time she saw it. She loves seeing her reflection in the shiny stainless steel each time she draws near to drink.
What I love most about this cat water fountain are its hygienic features. It has a replaceable carbon and foam filters that take care of dirt, odors, and bad tastes. The filters can also be cleaned and reused. Quite unlike some water fountains, it has 5 removable free-falling streams. Each has a different number of spouts you can choose from ranging from 1-5. When powered on, the pump passes water into the filter and back into the bowl through the spout in a fountain-like manner.
The gentle sound of water dropping in the bowl has proven to be effective in attracting the cats to drink. The bowl is 14 inches wide. Wide enough to allow a good number of pets to drink at the same time. You can always adjust the speed of the fountain to suit you.
- Large water capacity of 3.8L
- 5 different water streams
- 360-degree design
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to clean
- 9 Inches height, too high for kittens
This is royalty in every sense. The Ipettie Tritone drinking fountain is designed with high-quality ceramic. It’s eco-friendly, completely non-toxic and dishwasher safe. It has three fixed spouts for the fountain effect.
One striking feature of the Tritone drinking fountain is its Dual Filtration System. It uses a square-shaped foam to filter debris and pets’ hairs from entering the pump. The dirt-free water flows through a carbon filter where bad odors and tastes are filtered out. With a capacity of 2.1L, it can hold enough water to satisfy a cat for 2 weeks. Yea, that means you don’t need to refill it regularly unless you have multiple pets.
The entire fountain system is energy-saving. It runs on just 2W of power, noiseless and efficient. However, the only noise you may hear is the gentle dripping of water from the strainer to the bowl.
- 2W low power consumption
- Large water capacity of 2.1L
- 3 water spouts
- Dual filtration system
- Built with high-quality ceramic
- Ceramics can break when handled poorly
Catit brought something different and exciting to the table. I must confess, I didn’t really know how cool this water fountain is until I switched on its LED in a relatively dark room. My cat just couldn’t take her eyes off it. I guess she drank more water than she needed that day. You really don’t have to worry about your cats drinking too much from this water fountain. Cats need water to prevent urinary tract diseases. The good news is that the Catit LED Flower Water Fountain has an incredible 3L capacity that can serve your cat for three weeks or three cats for one week. That’s awesome, right?
What’s more? It’s got three different water flow settings you can choose from. It all boils down to the preference of your cat, she gets to do the choosing. Unlike some other water fountains, it comes with a triple action filter. Yea, you read it right. That means you’ve got nothing to worry about as long as hygiene is concerned.
- Attractive LED nightlight
- Triple action filter
- 3L water capacity
- 3 different water flow setting
- Its 7.7 inches height may be too high for kittens cats
I guess you love bonuses as much as I do. The first thing you need to know about the Ruff ‘n Ruffus Cat Water Fountain is that it comes with 3 great bonuses. They include a silicone mat to hold the water fountain, a handheld Laser Toy for your cat, and 3 charcoal filters. It’s got three water flow setting with different speeds. Whichever setting you choose to use, the 2L capacity water fountain has got what it takes to keep your cats satisfied for a long time.
It’s built with a high-quality BPA-free, food-grade plastic which is safe for cats. Not to mention that it is highly durable. Like most water fountains, it has a charcoal filter. But it’s also has a multi-stage filtration system that gets rid of bacteria.
- Multi-stage filtration system
- 2L water capacity
- Constructed with BPA-free, food-grade plastic
- 3 water flow settings
- 3 bonuses: silicone mat, handheld laser toy, 3 charcoal filters
- Volume may be too small for many cats
This is the 5th, but certainly not the least on our list. It’s one of the best cat water fountains out there built with BPA-free ABS plastic. That means your cats are safe to drink from it. Setting it up is pretty simple. It’s not rocket science. Its dual filtration system. The first uses foam to filter dirt and animal hair. The second uses charcoal to remove bad tastes and odors. It’s got a fancy LED nightlight that your cats will love.
When it comes to volume, 2.5L water capacity is not inadequate at all. It’s ideal for multi-pets. It has three different water flow settings: Gently bubbling flow fountain, Faucet-like stream flower waterfall, and Combo mode of both fountain and waterfall flow.
- Built with BPA-free ABS plastic
- Dual filtration system
- LED nightlight
- 2.5L water capacity
- Hassle-free set up
- Three water flow settings
- Low height, suitable for kittens
- None really
You’ve seen it all. Your cats need the best. Their health depends on it.
Should you buy one? Certainly. I mean, I’ve been using water fountains for as long as I can remember and they’ve been really cool and helpful. Your cats are counting on you to make a choice.